Tuesday 3 September 2013

A Little Rant About Driving Theory Tests..

Hey guys! I've decided today's little rant is going to be about the driving theory test, mainly because I failed mine YET AGAIN this morning but one little mark and incredibly irritated with myself and the test itself. 


Now, as every test goes, you will always have an idea of what to expect but you never know exactly what questions will come up. I find this incredibly frustrating. Me being me, I hate exams. I'm sure many would agree with me. There is just so much pressure on you to pass and do well that you get so nervous! For me, nerves often put me off and put me in a very negative state of mind. I know, in most cases, you can give it another go and try a lot harder next time.. But the fact you've failed to start with is so daunting.

The theory itself is just common sense, let's be honest. It can't be that hard, right? WRONG. I've taken my test twice now and had basically the same result both times.
 
First, you have the signing in process. You get given a sheet of rules which I'm pretty sure no one ever reads properly.. Then, once you've 'read' the sheet, you go up and they type in your information etc etc. They give you a locker for all your stuff and then the waiting process begins! You sit there and wait until you get called to wait by the door and it is the most horrible feeling while you just sit and wait when all you want to do is get it over and done with so you can go home and either mope about failing or celebrate the fact you've passed. When you actually go in, you kind of zone out and forget the other people in the room and just concentrate on the screen which doesn't help those who are prone to overthinking!

Then it's over. You begin to think through both possible results and get incredibly nervous which is so horrible.. You get your results and you run! Read your results, obviously, and run as far away from the test centre as you can.

In order to pass your theory, you need 43 on the multiple choice and I think 45(?) on the hazard perception. I managed to get 42 on the multiple choice both times and passed the hazard perception both times (it's simply clicking, not exactly hard). I mean, it's not like I didn't revise because I worked my backside off trying to get a good mark as I want to pass so I can take my practical test.. But you never know what questions will pop up and, as I realised the first time I took the test, some questions have been updated which may not appear on previous learning resources which completely throws you!

What irritates me about the theory though is when you get to the test centre, it's all basically teenagers with the occasional older person. Most teenagers look about 17/18 as they've done the wise thing and are getting it out of the way as soon as they can. Me being 19, I could've done mine years ago when I had a lot less going on in my life and could've absorbed the revision a lot better. Then when they all come out saying they've passed and you're just like, oh...

For me, I think it's nerves that puts me off so much. It's so much pressure simply to pass your theory in order to do your practical. That and the actual process of the theory is so tense and horrible.. For those who haven't done their theory yet, you'll see what I mean when you get there!

1 comment:

  1. You need to keep trying, I always advice people to first read the highway code before using those apps or websites to practice.

    Exams by nature are a bit flawed, but they are the only way of testing knowledge so you have to endure them. Good luck with the next theory test. UKADI

    ReplyDelete