Thursday 29 August 2013

'You must go to university to succeed in life...'

Hey guys! For my first 'society dictates' post, I've decided to talk about university. Good timing too seeing as people will soon be returning to and starting university in a matter of weeks..

 
(source: www.nerdist.com)

In school and college, we get our heads filled with information about university and how important it is in life etc etc. Where I went to sixth form, we had days dedicated to looking at universities and days out to a couple of them. We would sign up for UCAS and look at courses which we thought would suit us. Of course, this wasn't for everyone so not everyone had to sign up for anything or go on these visits and so on.

Admittedly, I don't go to university. Chances are I never will for a number of reasons. For starters, for the occupation I want to go into, I don't need university. I want to be a nanny or a teaching assistant. If I wanted to be a teacher, I would need to go to university. But I don't. For what I need, I could do a Level 3 college course which is exactly what I do. Secondly, university doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. The idea of debt and leaving me loved ones behind at a young age just isn't something I'd like to consider. The fact I'm incredibly socially awkward probably wouldn't do me any justice either if I'm honest.. But hey ho, that's just me!

Although it's not for everyone, university does have its advantages and pros. Yes, for some jobs, you do need to go to university. For example, nursing and, as I've already mentioned, teaching. This would be a major reason why people go to university! It also gives people the independence they need. We all have to grow up and mature at some point and, for some people, university gives people a chance to live a very independent life. No more relying on the bank of mum and dad! 

People find themselves at university. In some cases, people take a gap year (or gap years) to find out who they are and what they want to do. Going to university, you meet a lot of new people who can help bring you out of your shell and help you develop a new and exciting lifestyle. Normally, this includes lots of drinking games and lots of going out! People say the friends you make at university are your friends for life, mainly because they're stuck living with you and learn to put up with you! If you live with the same people throughout your entire time at university, you know you can't be that bad. 

As I've already mentioned, I'm not the sort of person who would go to university. But I'm not the only one.. For some people, the idea of debt simply crosses out the idea of university altogether! Having to pay £9000 a year, plus accommodation, plus drinking, plus food and everything else is enough to put anyone who isn't sure what they want to do in life off university straight away.

For others, the idea of being in education from 4-21 years old is quite a daunting thought! It's scary to think you've been in education for about a fifth of your life. People want to go out and explore the world while they still can and explore different opportunities to better themselves as an individual. 

Personally, university isn't my choice and I'm sure people will agree with me that it's not for everyone. If you don't need it or want to go, what's the point? What bugs me is that people look down on those who don't go to university. You don't know their reasons for not going, so what's to look down on? People choose their own fate and have their own aspirations, it's down to them to succeed and achieve what they desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment